Thursday, February 11, 2010

Teaching preschool, more food experiments


Here are some highlights and lowlights of my week:

  • We now official have a pre-school class, and we even have a 2 foot tall table with little chairs to prove it. My first class was kind of disaster. A five-year-old girl MiYoung started to cry while we were practicing our numbers. Sung-Ah was happy, but loud and hyperactive as usual. Joon-Woo, also 5, didn't think head-and-shoulders-knees-and-toes was a good idea at all and sort of just stared at me while I tried to teach it...the others followed his lead.
  • On the bright side, Sung-Ah now loves me and publicly announced it in English! The reasons for her change of heart are unknown.
  • Failed vocabulary review questions made me aware that I had mistakenly explained to two students that the word "runny" in English meant the same thing as "runny nose." Taking two steps back, I used Sunny 10 soda, honey, ketchup, juice and salad dressing to demonstrate the meaning of runny with greater clarity.
  • Tested the enchiladas out on a small panel of Korean judges to see what they would think. (Mexican food is not popular in Korea, so many of them looked at the dish with curiosity.) Mrs. Joe scrunched her face up and shook her head. Clearly not a fan. SuJung said she only likes Korean food. But SuJung and Patrick thought they were delicious! As well as one of my middle school students who tried some. Hyunsuk said they were ok. Moxanim didn't give me a comment.
  • In the mood to cook, SuJung, my fellow foodie, and I spent our "tutoring" time making tortilla pizzas together in the small kitchen at work. We sauteed red, green, and yellow bell peppers, mushrooms and onions in a little olive oil, then added in the organic spaghetti sauce we purchased at Costco. Next, we put the tortilla in a peculiar-looking stovetop pan (not sure about the name of it,) added the vegetable mixture, and topped it with pizza cheese. We sandwiched it with another tortilla, hoping to create a quesadilla feel, but when we flipped the pie, it sort of fell apart. It was delicious anyway! And a really good time!
  • Having expired my health club membership, I walked up and down the block in the rain yesterday to relieve my feeling of sedentariness. It's too bad that the timing of it's expiration so happened to be the same week I started consuming sour cream and cheese at an American rate.
  • I'm looking into teaching English online and got my first lesson request. I hope I'm doing this the right way.
  • Thanks to the assistance of my mother and friends, we finalized decisions on a DJ for the reception and on invitation designs. Nick proposed to me exactly one year ago today. Four months to go!
  • It's snowing today, and I'm going skiing with my friends tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment