Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fourth of July Reflections

Yesterday marked the two hundred and thirty-third anniversary of United States’ independence. I celebrated the holiday with my international friends who have enjoyed (or at least endured) the U.S. education system at the University of Northern Iowa. It’s ironic and sweet to spend time in the presence of people from Saudi Arabia, China, Bosnia, Japan, and South Korea on the birth date of this nation. We enjoyed a good ole American barbecue at Seerley Park, complete with watermelon, Frisbee and hamburgers, prepared by my fiancĂ©, Nick. After the meal, we packed up the leftovers and walked over the UNI dome to join the city of Cedar Falls in viewing the fireworks show.
Last year, Nick was struck by the oddity of explosive entertainment as he watched a Rwandan man flinch at every burst. This year, a Bosnian friend sat behind me during the show, and though he enjoyed them for the first time in several years, his presence gave me the same slight sensation of shame. It’s pretty easy to share in the glory of victory through fireworks when it’s been years since the U.S. has experienced a war on our own soil, with the exception of 9/11. But I was able to enjoy the fireworks anyway when I could separate myself from these thoughts.
Another more light-hearted moment of irony occurred during a pit stop from our promenade to the Dome, during which two girls from China and South Korea, changed clothes in order to proudly sport patriotic tank tops with U.S.-shaped flags on them, purchased from Walmart. They were pretty cute, and I told them they looked like cute Americans. The words sounded uncomfortable after they came out. What did I mean by that? Maybe it’s appropriate to recognize America’s sins as well as victories on Independence Day, to think of ourselves and our nation with sober judgment.
Yesterday was particularly significant for me as it marked one month until I will board a plane for South Korea. I will teach English in Taegu for eight months. Different people have reacted differently to this announcement:

“How fun! I’m glad you’re doing this while you’re young and single.”

“Ooo…Stay away from the border. Have you been watching the news?”

“Eight months! Is Nick going, too? When are you getting married again?”

“What was your degree again?...You don’t need a teaching degree to teach English in South Korea?”

People ask me how I feel about it now that the departure date is nearing. I guess I don’t feel much different. I wanted to experience what my international friend’s experience, being immersed in a culture for an extended stay. I’ll be immersed in a new language and dependent upon others for help—two things that are good for learning humility. I’m worried about getting lost, worried about learning to teach or about, by some chance, not liking it and being stuck for eight months. I’m not worried about North Korea or about trying Korean food or learning the Korean culture and language. That’s about as much as I can pour out of my mind as far as how I feel about it at the moment, but I thought I’d start this blog to keep people, and myself, up to date.
One of my friends just returned from Vietnam and said she realized there are some ways in which America is less free. I’m excited for observations like this one that keep my perspective fresh and new. I’m excited to be changed by a new experience. Maybe I’ll come back wearing a t-shirt with a South-Korean shaped picture of the South Korean flag. J

No comments:

Post a Comment