Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Annie comes to Daegu and shaboo, shaboo

A couple of years ago, my friend Diana and I drove to Chicago to say goodbye to two international friends--Claire from Taiwan and Annie from Korea. The four of us spent a day walking around Chicago during the Christmas bustle complete with a fresh snow fall. Then we said our goodbyes. I really can't remember if there were tears or not.These are the sorts of people you think you'll never see again, but only God knew we would. On Saturday, Annie from Korea came to visit me in Daegu.

Despite not having seen or spoken in years, I realized that Annie is a great conversationalist, and we had a great time together. She could only afford one day, so we tried to make the most of it. I met her at the train station at 8 a.m. I almost didn't recognize her at first. Not sure if it's the hairstyle or just the maturity level but definitely different than I remembered. I asked her what she wanted to do, and she said, "Well, I just want to see your life here in Daegu." How nice to have someone take interest in my simple life!
So we went out for coffee and caught up on life. Annie just graduated with her degree in Applied Mathematics from Eewha Women's University in Seoul, which, as I discovered later from my student's reactions, is one of the most prestigious universities in Korea. We talked about career plans as we sipped coffee and culture shock as we walked around downtown. Then, we reminisced about our lives at UNI.

On the way to Jilyang, we stopped by Youngdae, where Annie showed me her favorite game at an arcade. It was one of those machines with three big colored buttons for each player, and several games to choose from. One of them included catching pieces of fruit and meat on a kebab skewer. Another involved opening toilet lids, lowering toilet seats, and sitting dummies down on the pot. The first player to successfully sit their row of dummies on toilet seats wins! I was so tickled by the creativity. I think I might have made a spectacle of myself with my laughter except that nobody really goes to an arcade in the morning.

Next, we shopped around at a small store with cheap jewelry, clothes, and stationary stuff. I purchased several items, including a pair of earrings that say "yes" on one earring and "no" on the other. (Works well for 20 questions!)

We ate lunch at a small pasta restaurant, and I had lasagne for the first time since I've come to Korea. ( Don't worry, Mom. It was nothing like your lasagne. I'll still be plenty ready for lasagne when I come home.)

Annie came to my class in the afternoon, and I was able to incorporate her into a game for the students. I think it was pretty cool for them to see an example of a Korean girl with excellent speaking skills. After class, I showed her some pictures from the past few years on my computer. Then, we took a taxi to the bus terminal and said goodbye for a couple of weeks. It turns out I'll be able to stay at her place on my way out of Korea.

As for the rest of my Saturday night, I met up with Eli and Elise for dinner, who've definitely made me feel a valuable member of their foreigner gang. It's hard for me to describe how valuable yet priceless their friendship has been and still is. They will definitely be my most difficult goodbye. We talked and hung out at a coffee shop for a bit, but I couldn't keep myself out late like I had before. I'm not used to waking up at 6:30 a.m. anymore. So I got home a little after 11.

On Sunday, I went out for shaboo shaboo with some friends. I heard about shaboo shaboo through Raeann and Jong. It's one of Raeann's favorite Korean foods. Then Annie said it was one of Diana's, too. Thought I'd better give it a shot. It's fun to find that there's more I haven't done in Korea.



No comments:

Post a Comment