Thursday, March 11, 2010

Music and fashion

This week, I took a leisurely dip into two aspects of Korean pop culture--fashion and pop music.

CN Blue's new song called something like...way-toe-ria, meaning "Alone" seems to have become a hit overnight. (That's probably not the case. It's just how it seemed to me.) On Saturday night, Eli and Elise couldn't get it out of their heads, so Eli downloaded it as a ringtone on her phone just to clue me in. Ten minutes later, the song played on the radio in the cafe where we were.

"They actually play instruments," commented Elise. That's actually pretty remarkable considering that most Kpop groups are singer-dancer combos these days. The song reminded me of Maroon 5 because of it's pop vocals and catchy feel, and I was quite surprised to find that it caught me. I couldn't stop singing it either!

On Monday, my elementary students wanted to play it on youtube. On Tuesday, several middle school students hovered over a cell phone for a singalong before class. By Tuesday night, I downloaded it myself. Today, SuJung translated the lyrics for me. It's a story about a man who feel alone because his lover appears to be always thinking about another guy. "Sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad tonight! Casami apa!" (My heart hurts!)

In addition to my Kpop confession, I have to admit that on more than one occasion I've envied the Korean eye for fashion. (And that's something because anyone who knows me knows I don't have an eye for fashion.) Appearance matters in Korea, and while I think the idea to be relatively shallow, I really like dressing up for no reason other than to look nice. Some of the styles I've been hesitant to take part in because I know they have no place back in Iowa or on my body for that matter. For instance, if I remember correctly mini skirts and 4-inch heels have been either out or on their way out for some time now.

But others I just can't resist. For example, I found the feminine grunge combo-look of the flannel button down coupled with a black leather belt and skinny jeans to be quite adorable. Although, when I tried it on in a cheap clothes shop last night, I couldn't help but think, "this would look so much better if I were Korean." I bought it anyway! A small part of me fears that I will feel ridiculous wearing it in Iowa.

Ok: Confession. I've probably spent more money on fashion in Korea in the past 8 months than during the past four years of my life combined. Maybe it's because I'm making money finally. Or maybe it's because shopping overseas is kind of a fun adventure or because it's not hard to find a good deal with so many markets and cheap shops. In college, I scarcely shopped. There's nowhere to shop in Iowa and nothing to buy. (Ok, I'm hyperbolizing, but in comparison Korea, it's a fact!)

Throughout the past 8 months, I've bought 2 purses for 10 bucks, 3 pairs of jeans, about 8 to 10 shirts, 6 pairs of shoes (if I count a pair of cheap boots that broke after one month and the sneakers I needed to work out at the gym,) two belts, one coat, two scarves, one hat, a pair of mittens and a pair of gloves and several pairs of earrings and socks. Of course, it's not uncommon for a shirt at a market to cost 5 bucks. Do I feel guilty? Yes! At this very moment, I'm wondering if I should even post this at all, but the truth is shopping in Korea is so much fun!

A lot of the natives shop on the internet. I know Jihey does it that way, and SuJung often shops in her spare time at work. Unfortunately, a couple of purchases showed up this week looking and fitting pretty differently than she'd imagined, but she's had plenty of success, too. Shopping online is cheap. There are no shipping costs, and items arrive within only a few days! Tonight, we looked at shoes online. SuJung couldn't believe my ability to write off beautiful heels over 6 cm.

"I can't walk in them," I told her. She helped me find a pair of 3 cm heels for 8 bucks.

Yesterday it snowed. Today I went outside without a coat on.




No comments:

Post a Comment